• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1986 Power Ram Royal SE

Ghostrider 67

Reaction score
Since I have decided to keep this truck and clean it up I guess I should start a resto thread.
Hi all, I bought this 4x4 Power Ram for the engine (440) and all of the accessories in the engine bay. I only gave $700 for it and it's a complete and running /driving truck on which everything works.
At first I didn't give much thought to the body since I had no intention of keeping the rest after I took the parts I needed, but now that I have had it a week or so I have had time and desire to figure out what's what with it.
So, it is a Royal SE model W-150 Power Ram. The only options it does NOT have are A/C and Cruise. It came with a 318 but somewhere along the line it got a 440.
I find that it got a real heavy undercoating at some point so the bottom side seems to be in good shape and needed to be blasted to expose the bare metal and spray with some newer epoxy. The left edge of the driver floor pan has some rust through but the rest of the cab floors are fine. The rockers are good. The inner and outer door bottom 7 inches are toast. The cab corners are solid. There's surface rust and bubbled paint in several spots that can be dealt with without replacing metal. the bottom sections of the bed sides need patch panels. The bed floor is solid except a fist sized hole near the left well. The rear bumper is toast.
All of the trim is perfect except one tiny ding and a small light scrape in the center of the tailgate panel. There is not one single dent anywhere on the sheet metal. Amazingly.
The top color and bottom is jet black with the center panels silver. I'm going to change the silver section to gold dust. The windshield is cracked.
The interior is all red. Hate it.
It has power windows, steering, and brakes.

WP_20180218_11_31_11_Pro.jpg

WP_20180218_11_31_27_Pro.jpg

WP_20180218_11_31_36_Pro.jpg

WP_20180218_11_31_43_Pro.jpg

WP_20180218_11_31_51_Pro.jpg

WP_20180218_11_31_54_Pro.jpg

WP_20180218_11_31_57_Pro.jpg

WP_20180218_11_32_01_Pro.jpg

WP_20180218_11_32_06_Pro.jpg

WP_20180218_11_32_13_Pro.jpg

Also it has a home made set of wood bedrails with snaps for the tonneau cover and a 1/4 thick rubber bed floor pad.
Here's why I decided to keep it. There's a guy up state from me that has a 85 D100 Ram. It has the interior I want, all in near perfect condition, and the sheet metal from the back of the cab forward is perfect and rust free. It has many new parts installed and the rear half of the frame/chassis has been sanded and epoxy sealed. It also has a V8 318. I have talked him into trading straight up for my 2003 F 150 4x4. I gave $900 for that truck.
So my plan, after acquiring this 85 D100 next week, is to swap the entire cab over onto the 86 W150 frame. Use the 86 hood. I will have drill holes to mount the chrome trim. Swap out the dash bezels. Cut a hole in the floor for the 4x4 shift lever. Cut holes in each door panel for the power window switches along with holes for the wiring to pass through from cab to doors. Buy and install the lower bed patch panels and a left half bed floor.
Swap over the nice rear bumper from the D100.
Sand, seal and paint it black.gold,black. I will be leaving the 440 in the 86 Ram. I have another good 440 on an engine stand to go in the 67 Coronet.
All of the under hood wiring, accessories from the D100 will go in the Coronet. That leaves exhaust, brake and fuel, lines , and dash interior wiring to do yet on the Coronet. I expect that I can use many parts and pieces from the D100 for all of that. Plus it has a nice big new radiator that will work fine in the Coronet.
Afterwards I can sell the rest for scrap along with the 2002 F150 parts truck up in the back pasture.
Anyway, that's the plan at the moment. lol. The last pic is the destination for the 86 power Ram...

00d0d_htMb6ssQqHm_600x450.jpg

00S0S_h2PeBVF1eXb_600x450.jpg

00Y0Y_dOoOXAYwY7a_600x450.jpg

00404_hmgQrPQUlaI_600x450.jpg

00808_8HOoFbyx34c_600x450.jpg

zxvf.jpg

Question? Is the cab, including the dash and seat light enough for 2-4 men to pick up and move off of the frame? How about the bed? Thanks.

yes swap is easily doable but take the door of the cab as well as the bench seat it will be lighter.

Right, got that. The doors of course as they are heavy. I remember taking the bed off of my 02 F 150. I just lifted and scooted it corner to corner and slid it off onto the ground by myself, but, that bed was shot and I didn't care. This one is a keeper so I need to be careful.

Make sure to take into account that you will have a 2wd dash with the vin in your new 4wd truck. you may want to switch dashes as well. I vinyl dyed mine from burgundy to grey, I am sure you can get tan vinyl dye so you don't run into any problems if you sell the truck down the line. Good luck, my whole story is one herein pictures for my white truck feel free to browse if you like. It took me, my dad and my 2 teen age sons about 8 months to do mine on weekends and at night, so it is a lot of work, but I am glad I did it everyday.
PS Are you sure you cant find a bed locally? Man it sounds like that one needs a lot of love to be able to be painted black

Make sure to take into account that you will have a 2wd dash with the vin in your new 4wd truck. you may want to switch dashes as well. I vinyl dyed mine from burgundy to grey, I am sure you can get tan vinyl dye so you don't run into any problems if you sell the truck down the line. Good luck, my whole story is one herein pictures for my white truck feel free to browse if you like. It took me, my dad and my 2 teen age sons about 8 months to do mine on weekends and at night, so it is a lot of work, but I am glad I did it everyday.
PS Are you sure you cant find a bed locally? Man it sounds like that one needs a lot of love to be able to be painted black
Thanks,but i'm not swapping cabs. Just tipping it backwards onto the cab back so I can get to the frame to blast it.

The Northeast really takes a tool on these trucks
Your right, and this truck was purchased here in Middlebury VT and has been here it's entire existence. It was coated with rust preventative when new so it's not completely toast Once I have it cleaned up I will take it to the local WAXOIL shop and have it coated just like our new Escape was.

I have been looking at a 1967 Ford Galaxie 500 out in Colorado, it has zero rust, anywhere. Floor pans look brand new and shiny still. High and dry desert air.

$6200 doesn't sound bad if it is what they claim...

get rid of one to bring in another
not a bad idea

$6200 doesn't sound bad if it is what they claim...

get rid of one to bring in another
not a bad idea
I only have three old rides, technically four, and Laura told me I had to sell something to get the latest one. I hate that. I didn't buy my cars to sell. But I'll sell to her son, at least I get to keep tabs on it! Space is on her side, til I can build a shop and justify keeping more. And I'm finding more...

I only have three old rides, technically four, and Laura told me I had to sell something to get the latest one. I hate that. I didn't buy my cars to sell. But I'll sell to her son, at least I get to keep tabs on it! Space is on her side, til I can build a shop and justify keeping more. And I'm finding more...
I understand. We own six vehicles. One is on the way to scrap, two are my projects, one is the farm truck, the other two are our personal drivers.

Back