• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1983 Dodge d150 stepside 360/4spd

moparornocar72

Reaction score
I bought a 1983 Dodge d150 stepside 360/4spd in August 2010. I picked it up for $1,500 and took the midnight express stickers off since it is in fact not a midnight express. It was originally a slant 6 truck but someone was nice enough to change it over to a 360/4 speed with a mild cam. Only problem was it has a 2 barrel carb and intake, so it def. needs to be getting more fuel. I will work on that soon as I get the body work done. here's pics of when i first got it.
a78e9088.jpg

115ca0eb.jpg

79958620.jpg

truckengine.jpg

Don't let the pictures fool you, paint had waves all in it and bondo underneath. motor was rough looking on the outside as well, just takin with a good camera.

Not long after this I just got fed up with the hack job someone did on the body work. I had an electrical problem under the dash and started fixing little things at a time. Bear with me cuz i didn't take a whole lot of before and after pics.
Front end block down:
IMAG0014.jpg

IMAG0062.jpg

Rear Quarter sanded and primed, just one dent to flatten out:
IMAG0055.jpg

Side view, waiting for me to shoot primer, still haven't had time to spray a fresh coat:
IMAG0061.jpg

Last month I was tired of looking at the gold flaking paint and rusty chrome valve covers, I took the motor out, Repainted and gasketed the top end:
Before:
3b24770c.jpg

After:
IMAG0001-2.jpg

This is all the work I have done to it up to this point, I will update when I get more done but between full time school and work I do not have a lot of time to work on her.

She is a beauty, Keep the school work up and the boss happy first, The truck will be there for you to enjoy when you have time.
Having a hobby and a truck like that makes it easier to get to work and school on time.
Very nice job on the engine, It's hard to find these cool step side truck these days, Congratulations on a great truck.

She is a beauty, Keep the school work up and the boss happy first, The truck will be there for you to enjoy when you have time.
Having a hobby and a truck like that makes it easier to get to work and school on time.
Very nice job on the engine, It's hard to find these cool step side truck these days, Congratulations on a great truck.

Thanks man, all of ya'lls projects and trucks keep me motivated to take care of business then play with my toys when I can. I sold off a 72 charger rallye and a 70 roadrunner when I left for the USMC 2 years ago. I tore my shoulder out badly last April and was discharged after surgery so I am trying to get back to my old civilian life. I am blessed to have them to work on, it also keeps my head on straight. Whenever the temp drops back in the 70's to 80's I will get back to work on welding the panels in my 73 dart sport 340. The shop it is stored in has been consistently been over 100 degrees in it and it is to hard to get anything done when ur hands are to slippery from all the sweat, not to mention weld.

Hey I'm sorry I missed this. Overall your trucks look to be in good condition. I will be following this.

Any updates, i have a 86 that iam making into a stepside, by the way i do believe theres a video of this truck on youtube, called midnight express, keep up the great work, i will be following this.

I remember looking at this truck and you are right,bodywork left a lot to be desired.

:thumb: Nice project ! It's comeing along good . Then again I do favor truck's with rear steps . lol

Well after taking a hiatus and contemplating selling...I decided to start back on this truck. I have continued to block it down and am thinking of spraying it matte black and just having a cool cruiser to run around in.

That would probably look pretty mean . Are you putting the wood back on the sides ?

I'm interested to see where you have come with the truck now. I've just recently purchased an 84 stepside. I'm 16, my sisters boyfriend bought it for me & I will pay him back with job money this summer. My dad was never into mechanics & my soon to be brother in law is. So he will help me get it to where it needs to be & I'm just looking for some ideas. Thanks !

I'm interested to see where you have come with the truck now. I've just recently purchased an 84 stepside. I'm 16, my sisters boyfriend bought it for me & I will pay him back with job money this summer. My dad was never into mechanics & my soon to be brother in law is. So he will help me get it to where it needs to be & I'm just looking for some ideas. Thanks !

2 words ......... BIG BLOCK

2 words ......... BIG BLOCK

As much as I "love" big blocks , you have to remember he's 16 probably on a tight budget and not sure of his mechanical skill's . So all that being said , There nothing wrong with a warmed up small block . It would be easier , cheaper and he'd probably like the end result . By the way welcome to the site "ilovefords" .

Back