• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1970 ford f-100 shift linkage woes

rhodyguy

Reaction score
hello, i have a 70' F-100 sport custom ( automatic trans) and need help identifying the name or part number in an exploded parts diagram (LMC Truck). the pot metal component the shift lever connects to inside the shift collar that actuates the linkage, collar is part #23 in the diagram, has sheared off and i'm no longer able to put the trans in to gear.. can you tell me if the part i need is #19/column flange? the LMC catalog isn't that helpful in picturing/identifying the actual part so i've come to you folks for assistance. i'll see if i can post a picture to make it easier to help me. thanks in advance.

a little about my truck...very straight 2 owner prior to me. amazingly rust free (really. i own porsche 914s so i know all about the tin worms) survivor. gas hog 360 but i don't ask much of it. work truck. ford tough.

kevin

truck column1.jpg

truck column2.jpg

Same issue, 1970 f-100 will not shift into any gear; I have removed the linkage at transmission and moved C-6 lever into "Park" position, so it will not roll.

Was replacing the column flange the answer to your issue ?

Is there a cable I should also be replacing ?

good morning, go to the LMC online catalog and search using 'steering column components". #35 is the collar that is broken on my truck. the pot metal fails and the inside portion (pictures) breaks and then you can't select any gears. i sourced the collar thru a local ford dealership. more $$ than LMC. i also bought items #36 (shift lever insulator) and #37 (shift lever pin). to remove the turn signal assem you need to disconnect the wires where they exit lower on the column. fashion some sort of fish wire so you can pull the wire back thru the exit hole. hope this helps.

kevin

Hi Kevin:
Thanks for responding. I have ordered the parts from LMC, and will hopefully get them this week. Was it a "pain" to remove the steering wheel, and the necessary components? I am having trouble finding any exploded views of the steering column logistics, so I am unsure where to start the disassembly. Did you drop the entire steering column to get it?
open" for maintenance?

Thanks,
Leegrboy

Back