• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

1968 Dodge D200 steering box question

NICK

Reaction score
Hello everyone I just got this 1968 Dodge D200 318 automatic long bed Adveturer
manual steering gear box was bad I replaced the steering coupler joint I took the manual steering box and took it to get rebuilt it was bad too much play
I installed the gear box did not connect the pitman arm yet I did connected the steering column to the gear box
My question is the following
I turn the steering wheel left or right as it sits right now without the pitman arm and it just keeps turning like 5 turns to left and if I turn it to the right it goes the 5 turns I had turn it to the left plus it keeps going to the right
is that normal? the shop that did the rebuilt said I should get 3 turns left or right the most but it does not stop it keeps turning
So my question is once I connect the pitman arm would I have the stop that the rebuilt shop told me? 3 turns left to 3 turns right?
I have never done a manual steering box I have done power steering boxes removal

When I took the gear box off the truck to get it rebuild it had play on the column connector but not the pitman arm connector I was able to move it with my fingers (rotate)
Once I got the gearbox back from the shop I could not move it with my hand at all it was very hard

But now that I mounted back on the frame and installed the steering column it turns easy
but again I have not connected the pitman arm yet

Any comments help suggestions will be greatly appreciated
the truck runs and drives great other than this steering issue

I don't know how to use the site yet to post pictures plus I'm using my laptop/tablet

C5794518-D62C-47E6-A19C-DB3316F1482E.jpeg
C5794518-D62C-47E6-A19C-DB3316F1482E.jpeg

If the box and wheels are centered. Align with the pitman all should be good. The stops on the lower ball joint arms will limit the rotations left or right. Three rotation left and right of center sounds excesive.
Been a long time since driving anything with manual stear.

thank you for the information, so once i connect all the other things like the pitman arm and the drag link it should all work out fine? i hope!
I'm waiting for the drag link to be delivered I will post how it went after I finish the installation
another question
how do I post videos?

Problem fixed, the rebuild was not done properly that's
why it keep spinning I took it back and they redoit
now it works fine

thanks everyone for the help
and it has 3 turns to the left and 3 turns to the right is a manual transmission not power

Back