• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

‘91 Ram fuel tank swap?

Rob C

Life long car nut
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I have a ‘91 W series pick up, manual trans with fuel injection. Originally with a V6. The gas tank I have is beat up. I am running a LA 360 w/a carb. The truck is somewhat hacked up and I am not familiar with trucks. The question is….

Can I use an earlier fuel tank from the carburetor years?
Is it an easy bolt in swap?
How do the fuel lines run?

TIA, Rob

I believe the 91 has a plastic fuel tank doesn't it? Earlier models are steel. The fuel senders are different also. You could use the original tank and sender, just use a fuel pressure regulator to cut down the pressure for a carb. You also need a way to power the pump, 91 would have used the computer to control the fuel pump relay. The relay can be controlled by a hobbs switch, it would trigger the relay when you get oil pressure.

Yes, a plastic gas tank . Looks like this below…

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 122
I’d like to, if possible, use an older gas tank. The engine is no longer fuel injected and the wiring harness is backed to bits. It would be easier for me to step backwards in tech, AKA, old school ways for this old fart, rather than to rewire the truck for fuel injection.

I’d like to do it all new.

We have mounted a 93 tank into a 74 frame. So don't know why it would not work the other way around. I would save the straps from the older tank.

Good Morning I have done the opposite 91 tank in my 87 when I converted to FI. They interchange as far as mounting, the sender is different in the resistance for the gauge to work properly. On my 87 with carb the fuel lines run on opposite sides of the frame. All of this can be overcome or you can let the mechanical pump pull fuel thru the same line as the FI.

Good Luck
Pete

We put an 87 tank in my son's 89 ramcharger when we dumped the troublesome tbi fuel injection. Hate that setup. Have had several with it, never anything but problems with it. In this case he also went to a stroked 408.
And to my knowledge all dodge trucks had plastic tanks at least back to 1975ish. We had to find a replacement for his 80 when it got punctured/which ended up being a helluva search since only (some) 78 plus 79 and 80 take that exact tank. It's plastic too.
My 85 is also a plastic tank.

If you were closer I would simply trade tanks. It's an 82 and think it's a 24 gal tank

Back