• Welcome to For Trucks Only !

We are a community of American Brand Pickup Truck and SUV owners. Join now! Its Free!

Looking for differential help

Gag_Halfront

Reaction score
A funny thing happened when I was putting new axle seals in my truck the other day. The shaft lock pin ("cross pin") broke in half as I was installing it. I hadn't even put any torque on it yet. It broke as soon as I touched it with the wrench. Luckily I was able to get the end out of the carrier. On to my problem...

Every source I've checked, including the standard run-of-the-mill auto parts stores, summit racing, Rock Auto and my local Dodge dealer all point me to the wrong part. After the dealer cross-checked based on year/model/engine/etc and even by VIN, they gave me a pin that doesn't work. I even pointed out at the time that it was wrong and the person at the parts counter assured me that this was the correct pin. Computers never lie. :banghead:

When you compare the two, they are obviously totally different. One is square shouldered, the other is tapered. The hole in the carrier is tapered as well. The new, square shouldered pin is shorter and slightly larger diameter. Just for the sake of argument, I tried it and the new pin most certainly does not fit into the hole in my pinion shaft. See attached photo.

Is there anyone here who can tell me what cross pin I need? My truck is an '05 1500 SLT 5.7L 2D, 2WD. I've owned it since new, so I can confirm that the diff is original to the truck.
Dodge says this is the pin: PART No. 3507724 As you can see in the picture, when I bought this pin it is clearly wrong.

tempImagey2BUiX.png

It's been a while since I've worked on an 8.25/9.25. Have the dealer pull up the picture. Things get moved around. Do you have the 8.25 or 9.25? Round or octagon cover? Is hat is the pin for the 8.25 diff? They gave you one for the heavy duty 9.25 or vise versa? Do you have the 8.25 or 9.25? Round or octagon cover? Craig

Last edited:
I have the octagonal cover 9.25" corporate housing with anti-spin differential. (according to the build sheet based on VIN)

Well... I got the answer and it's "awesome". The parts lady at my local dealer called Chrysler HQ and someone there told her the problem is that my truck has the "Anti-Spin" differential. The Anti-Spin differential is not meant to be serviced or disassembled, and therefore they do not sell parts for it. Which means, according to Chrysler, when my axle seals failed, the correct thing to do was to buy a $2000 replacement limited slip diff assembly along with the $10 seals and $20 bearings.

I have the octagonal cover 9.25" corporate housing with anti-spin differential. (according to the build sheet based on VIN)
I don't think that is correct about repair. Which is it according to your eye? Not try to be smart but you're not making it clear.

I hate when people ghost a thread after they find their solution, so I thought I'd better come back here and close this out.

Sorry if my wording was clumsy earlier. My diff is definitely an anti-spin. The reason the everyone was trying to sell the wrong bolt is because the Mopar parts diagram shows the bolt for the standard diff and shows the anti-spin to the side as an assembly. The diagram doesn't really make this clear, and none of the parts people know enough to know the distinction. To make it better, when I asked the dealer parts counter person she said that she was "not allowed" to ask a mechanic. So that left me having to take a leap of faith. On rock auto, there was one bolt that had no picture, but the description mentioned "tapered head" so I ordered one and it worked.

LINK: More Information for USA STANDARD GEAR USA33238

Back