Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lowering my 87 dodge d100

Country
    United States

Default Lowering my 87 dodge d100

I have an 87 dodge d100 and i was just curious on how to lower it. ive looked around and stuff and looked at lowering kits but im not exactly sure which way i should go and how to do it? any suggestions?

Country
    United States

You can use 1 Ton LCA's & change the balljoint or use Dodge van LCA's & drill the strut rod holes the rear you can do a number of ways. Here's my RC with van LCA's & a rear axle flip
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by RCAddict; 01-02-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: pics

Country
    United States

Good info RCAddict. I was gonna start looking online for that very stuff to tell him but you got this under control.
    98 Ram SS/T Black
    5.9l/auto 3.55 Trac-lock
    Bone stock screamer.....for now

Country
    United States

You can lower it using a combo of different things. A popular way to do the front is using the LCA's along with a modified early Dakota drop spindle from Bell Tech. The rear you can do a bunch of ways flipping the front spring hanger & using a drop shackle for a 73-87 Chevy truck. Flipping the axle the way I did either using weld on perches or using a axle flip kit for a 73 up Chevy truck. How far do you want to go down? Here's the pics of my front & rear.

Country
    United States

thank you, i am not completely sure yet though how much i want to drop it. i do like the look that RCAddict ramcharger has to it. the way my truck sits now it is higher in the back than the front and i dont like it. i used to have the air adjustable shocks in the rear but i replaced ythem and it still sits funny i will be sure to check out what u have told me and post pictures after it is done

Country
    United States

sit your truck at height on stands & drop it down until it sits where you want it with tires & wheels standing in the wheel wells. Measure before & after & let me know & I can give you an idea of what you need to do. Bob

Country
    United States

I had originally bought Bell Tech spring hangers for my '86 longbed, but wanted a truck that will handle. Really handle. Like go play with Corvette's handle. So I took them off, and I ended up drilling the front spring mounts off the frame, moving them up, and drilling new holes for them, then I cut off and welded on new spring pads. My buddy that works for Tulsa Spring and Axle tells me that flipping a rear is very detrimental to the springs life and ride quality. Certainly many people do it, and probably just as many don't notice a difference.
    I hadn't considered using van LCA for my truck. How much will just using them lower the front? I still need to drop my '87 shortbed!

Country
    United States

I don't see what's detrimental the springs. The weight is still supported from the bottom & the size of the axle perch isn't that different. I move the hangers on the frame too to tune ride height or go all the way down with. I move front & rears. How did you move the hangers up use a lowering shackle plus do a flip with C notching the frame? The flip is good for 5" the shackles for at least 1 1/2" the moving the front hanger is good for 1/2 the distance moved. There's 4" of travel in the pic above with just the flip. The van LCA's are good for 2-3" depending on how good your springs are. The 1Ton or 4000# front axle is good for 1 1/2-2 1/2" pictured

Country
    United States

Here's how I do my down stops to keep the spring in the pocket. This is something that hardly anyone does

Country
    United States

The 1Ton LCA's allow you to use the factory sway bar. Use them with a lowering spring from a 94 up & a Dakota drop spindle & you can go lower than my RC & burn corners.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast